Monday, January 8, 2018

Do you hang out at a Doordash hotspot?

When a person first begins dashing, and everything is new to them, they learn about the hotspots on their Doordash app. Actually, they most likely learned about the hotspots during their Doordash orientation. Every region has a hotspot, and most have more than one. As a new dasher, common sense will tell you that this is where you need to park yourself to increase your chance of receiving an order.

 

doordash hotspot
This is what a Doordash Hotspot looks like. The little flame of fire supposed to be were you will receive the most orders
 


How does Doordash determine where a hotspot will be?


They will choose where the hotspots are based on where a lot of restaurants are. A hotspot will usually be around shopping malls and shopping centers. When a dasher parks himself in a hotspot, he will be close to many restaurants, and this will naturally increase his chance of receiving orders. Most regions will  have at least a couple of hotspots, and each one will be a good distance away from each other. For example, one hotspot will be located around the west side of the region while the other hotspot will be located on the east side of the region. Basically, where most of the restaurants are is where the hotspots will be.

 



Is it worth sitting at a Doordash hotspot?


It can be beneficial to wait for an order at a hot spot. After all, you will be in close proximity to the restaurants. If what Doordash says is true about the closest dasher to the restaurant getting the ping for an order, then hanging out at a hotspot will do you good. We have all been told that the closest dasher always gets the ping for an order. I think generally this is true, but not always. It has been proven to myself that the closest dasher does not always get the call, but I will write about that in another post.


hyrecar

 

If you are a dasher that lives close to a hotspot, you may have an advantage over other dashers. You might be able to hang out at your house while waiting for a call. Personally, I live right in the middle of my regions two hot spots. If it is a really slow day, and I am sitting at a hotspot for an hour without a call, I will not wait any longer and waste my time. Instead, I will just go home and hope I get a call. I will always eventually get a ping from my house and start dashing again.




Do dashers really get more orders when they are at a hotspot?


I think every dasher will have their own opinion on this, but I have to say that it does not seem like there is any difference to me whether I am posted at a hotspot or not. All I know is that once Doordash gets you going, orders come in one after another. For example, I get a call, pick up from the merchant and drop off the food to the customer. As soon as I get back in my car and slide that the order was delivered. Within a few seconds, I get a new ping for a new order. When I deliver that order and slide, another new order will immediately pop up. Doordash will have me on their good list, and I will get call after call. Keep in mind that I am getting the pings from the residential streets or commercial businesses where I am making deliveries. I do not have to drive back to a hotspot to get a new order. 



Making your own hotspot


If I am not near a hotspot, I will not go out of way to get there. Instead, I will park at a near-by shopping center that has a good amount of restaurants that I normally pick up from for Doordash. To me, the amount of calls that I get from these locations are the same as if I park at a hotspot. On a slow day, I will sometimes park myself at a hotspot only because it is close to me.

FreeTaxUSA Box 300x250

 

Sometimes, I will park near a local Jack-In-The-Box (which is not near the hot spot.) Most of the time, I will get a ping for that Jack-In-The-Box within 20 minutes. If you have a favorite restaurant that you like delivering for, you might want to consider posting up there instead of the hotspot where other dashers may be parked. If it is a very popular Doordash restaurant that  normally gets a lot of calls, you just might end up doing half of your total dashes for this restaurant.




My hotspot story when I first started dashing


When I first started dashing, I remember going to a near-by region to work. I tried to dash for my home region, but I could not get on. I ended up using the dash-now option to get a 9p.m. to 10p.m. shift. I took my daughter with me, and we drove about eight miles away to the hotspot of this near-by region. The hotspot was at a large shopping center with a near-by mall. I tried to get as close as I could to the hotspot symbol that is displayed on the Doordash app. I was not satisfied until I was right on top of it. Once I was satisfied, I noticed that the shopping center seemed dead. The only people around were workers from a closed restaurant that were taking out the trash. So there me and my daughter sat waiting for an order to come in. Eventually, the whole hour had went by, and I did not receive one call. I drove back home thinking what a waste of gas money this was!

 


 

My cousins Doordash story when he first started dashing


I have a cousin that I would eventually bring in to the world of dashing. As I write this post, he has probably been dashing for a couple of months, but recently he told me a story about his first experience with the hotspot. I am not sure what region he was working, and it does not really matter, but he went out dashing, and like me, he also tried to get as close as possible to that hotspot symbol that is displayed on the Doordash app.





He did take it a bit further than I did though. To make his way to the hotspot symbol, he left his vehicle and went into a Ross department store. While in there, with his phone in hand and following the hotspot symbol, he eventually ended up in the men's shoe department. So there he is standing there in the men's shoe department staring at his phone while he waits for a ping. Meanwhile, the security guard is looking at him like he is crazy. This story gave me a good laugh when I first heard it, but when you are a new dasher, sometimes you just have to learn.


My conclusion:


Do I hang out at Doordash hotspots? Yes, I do. Do I think that a dasher will get more dashes if they are at a hotspot? No, I do not. There is nothing wrong with hanging out at a hotspot, but it is not necessary to get calls. When I am hanging out at a hotspot it is because it is near me. How about you? Do you hang out at a Doordash hotspot?

8 comments:

  1. I live in Tampa and usually when I sign up to work anywhere in the Hillsboro or Pasco counties area the hotspots appear in my app automatically. However, I decided to try the Bradenton area which is in Manatee County because they were offering $3 more, but once I got in the area I was online but no hotspot showed up and for 2hrs I drove around and no calls came in and I couldn't communicate with Doordash at all. So I wasted my time and gas and made no money on a Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me when I say that I understand your frustration. I think anybody that has dashed long enough has at one time or another had a situation similar to what you went through. I once received two calls while being on duty for 16 hours! One would think that there was no orders coming in, but fellow dashers around my area that day were receiving call after call. You just never know what is going on with Doordash. My advice is to stick with your normal area as you are quicker and know the area better, but I also like to experiment with new regions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we choose a hotspot and stay there and no orders come..does it mean that we would not get any orders from other hitspots that are not in our assigned rout??
    One other question..if im waiting in a hotspot with no orders and i stop dashing before end of time..is it bad??

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you choose to post up at a hotspot and you are not getting any orders it does not mean that you would or would not get orders at another hot spot. Hotspots do not mean anything! I personally create my own hotspots. Whether you are at an official hotspot or your own created hotspot, you just never know when you are going to receive an order or not. To answer your second question. No, it does not matter if you end your dash early. It is irrelevant if you are in a hotspot or not. You can choose to end your dash early whenever you want. There are no consequences to logging off. This is what is great about not being an employee. If you were an employee, it would be a whole different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the hotspots ate to cover their butt just I case something pops up ..i do t think they have orders .Bonus pay I think is because they are slow . they ate looking out for themselves and not drivers .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trust me, do not waste your time going to a "hotspot." It doesn't make a single bit of difference in how many orders you are going to get, especially if you're like me and live in a small town. I'm less than 1.5 miles from both hotspots, so I just sit at home. I've tried the hotspots multiple times and just ended up wasting fuel. If you live 2 miles or less from the hotspots, stay home. Just my experienced advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to doordash with my partner it's fun and we're making a little spending money for the things we want and need to get us through the month where we're normally pretty low on money due to being on a fixed income and the normal bills take the majority of what we get a month. Not to mention it is a Great way for us to spend more quality time together... I think I'll/we'll be doordashing for a long time to come.. as long as the pay stays worth it to keep on going on deliveries.Some of these deliveries are completely backwards they're sending you to wrong addresses and closed restaurants to pick up orders that the company no longer exists or the establishment is already closed for the day.. they need better methods of knowing when a business is closed as far as hours of operation or permanent restaurant closings.. and when this happens to the drivers we shouldn't be penalized with only half of the pay we agreed to do the delivery for we should still get a full payment for our time and gas... since it was an internal problem not a driver problem... we get the orders we don't make them... we go where we're told to go not having a choice...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen the same issues with the hotspot glad I didn't go all the way searching for it just drove in a few circles and then googled and found this blog. Thanks for making it.🥰

    ReplyDelete