Sunday, January 7, 2018

What to do when two dashers show up for the same order

As a Doordash driver, you never know what to expect. Strange things will happen at restaurants, drop-offs and in between. I'm sure that every Doordash driver can tell you about strange incidents that have happened to them while working.What I am going to talk about here is a glitch that occasionally happens with the Doordash app. It does not happen often, and it is so rare that it never crosses my mind that it will happen. It has happened to me only three times, but I know that I am not the only one because I have spoken to other Dashers that it has happened to.

 

two dashers same call
You never want to be aggressive and argue with another Dasher for a Doordash mistake!
 

When you realize that another dasher is picking up the same order as you


Let's start from the beginning. You get a ping for an order and accept it. You make your way to the restaurant and everything seems normal. You get out of your car and enter the restaurant. You then tell the workers that you are from Doordash and that you are there to pick up an order for so and so. While doing this, there is another patron looking at you funny. This person then questions you about who you are picking up for. You tell them, and then the two of you figure out that you are both Doordash drivers that were sent to the restaurant to pick up the same order.




As I have said, it is rare, but it does happen. I cannot say why it happens, but there are times when two dashers will both be able to accept the same call for a customer's order. The first time it happened to me, I was the the first dasher to arrive at the restaurant. While waiting for my food, another dasher came in and talked to the workers at the restaurant. I overheard what was being said and asked the dasher about his order. He told me his customer's name and the items that the person ordered. I explained to him that this was my order, and he just walked away and out of the restaurant. I do not know how Doordash dealt with this guy's issue, but I definitely was not going to leave or give up on my order. The way I figured it, since I arrived at the restaurant first it is my order.



The second time an incident like this happened to me, I was the second dasher to arrive at the merchant. I was in a good mood that day and did not mind letting the other dasher complete the order. After all, he was the first dasher at the restaurant. He seemed like a nice guy too and was not the type to fight about who has rights to the order. I told him to go on ahead with his business and that I will just contact Doordash support and let them know what has happened. Upon talking with support, the end result was that I would be paid $2 for showing up at the restaurant.


 
My incidents were both kind of boring for those that expected action packed stories about two dashers boxing it out to claim rights to the order. I did hear a story about two other dashers having an incident that seemed to be a bit more exciting. One dasher received the bags of food from the merchant and proceeded to her vehicle. While sitting in her car and getting ready to drive away, another dasher came running at her and yelling that it was his order. The frantic yelling and cursing caused a bit of attention from local patrons. The original dasher did not even know that an incident was going down until this other dasher came at her screaming and yelling. No physical fighting here, but I'm sure that they entertained bystanders with their yelling and screaming at each other.




The third time something like this happened to me I was unaware until the workers at the restaurant told me about it. I was at a Jack-In-The-Box restaurant and in the drive-thru. The customer had ordered about six different items with specifications such as no onions in this, and no tomatoes in that, etc. When I drove up to the window and spoke to the drive-thru worker, she told me that it was kind of weird because my order is exactly the same as another order that they currently had.




Apparently, another dasher was inside Jack-In-The-Box and had ordered the same food with the same exact specifications and paid with his Doordash red card. Since I am a regular acquaintance with the workers at this Jack-In-The-Box, they joked with me and told me that they are going to give me my order first before they give him his so that I can make the delivery. I drove off with the food and made the delivery in about ten minutes. After leaving the customer's house and driving away, a few blocks down the road I see this other dasher making his way to the customer's house. I don't know what happened once he arrived at the drop-off location. Maybe the customer accepted the second order also, or maybe the dasher got to keep all of the food for himself. Come to think of it, maybe he got a better deal hear than me!





I am no technology genius or anything, and I don't know why this happens, but if it has never happened to you, just be aware that it can and will most likely eventually happen. As I mentioned earlier, it is just a glitch in the Doordash app that allows two dashers to accept the same order. If it ever does happen to you, never be a hot-head with the other dasher. They are just doing their job like you and trying to make some extra money. There is never a need for a WWE wrestling match. A fair rule would be whoever was there first gets to proceed with the order.


4 comments:

  1. Sooooo just to be clear, a battle to the death isn't the way to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not because somebody is gonna get hurt. If both are willing though, they can both go for it and have a blood bath to see who can deliver that $3 order!

      Delete
  2. This is so funny. You mentioned it was a rare thing, and it happened to me on the second dash i ever did. Though, the food was already gone when i got to the restaurant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing here the fourth – on my first day and they had already picked the food up

      Delete