Saturday, November 14, 2020

What it's like going to the DMV during the Covid 19 Pandemic?

At the very beginning of the year, while out dashing, I had gotten a ticket. It was a fix it ticket for three different offenses. I didn't have my registration with me or my proof of insurance, and the cop didn't like the fact that I had my P.O. box address on my drivers license. I tried to explain to him that I've had my P.O. box on my driver's license for over 20 years, but he didn't want to hear it.


My registration was due one week before I received this ticket so technically my registration was expired. As far as auto insurance was concerned, I did have insurance but for some reason my paper was not in my glove department. I thought cops were able to look up your auto insurance status on their system, but apparently this officer could not or did not know how to.




I didn't take care of my traffic ticket because of Covid 19

I was supposed to take care of this ticket before April 15, 2020. Unfortunately, I couldn't just pay the fine and send it in the mail or pay online. Since this was a fix it ticket, I had to get it signed off. I had to show the court that I had registration, auto insurance and get a change of address on my driver's license.

Then something happened in our world. There was this new thing called Corona virus. You may have heard of it. There was no way that I was going to risk me or my family's lives for some government business. I wasn't going to go to no damn DMV or court house. The date to take care of my ticket came and went and now I have had a FTP (Failure to appear) attached to all of this.


Rent a car, Drive with Uber or Lyft - HyreCar


Since then I've still been driving, and I obey every traffic law as good as I ever have in my life. When I'm out, not getting pulled over is on my mind everyday. Even with my good driving, I did get pulled over one day in September though, and I nervously sat there in my car thinking the cop was going to take me in for a warrant. After taking my license and other information back to his car to check me out, he came back to the car and told me to have a good day. What happened there I have no idea, but thank God. Maybe they stopped enforcing petty things like this due to Covid. I'm really not sure but thank God.

Here we are now in November of 2020, and my driver's license is about to expire in a week. Unfortunately for me, I cannot renew it until the charges on my fix it ticket are taken care of. These petty charges that would have cost me under $100 is probably going to cost me much much more now.




My trip to the DMV during the Covid Pandemic

A few days ago I decided to finally make a trip to the DMV. Trust me when I say that even though we are in November and the pandemic is going to be celebrating its one year anniversary soon, I still don't want to go to a crowded public place. I have not been anywhere with a large crowd since the pandemic started, but I decide that I have to do what I have to do.

I had no idea what to expect at the DMV. All I knew is that I was going to try to stay the hell away from people as much as I could. I arrived at the DMV around noon time with my face mask in place. There was a line outside of the DMV. Nobody was allowed to just walk inside like they normally would. The DMV workers had a table and chairs right outside of the main door that leads inside of the building. The line I was to get in lead to this table and these workers who would then give you a ticket.




When I got in this line, I thought I would be in this line for hours, Fortunately for me, by the time I reached the DMV workers at the table it only took 45 minutes. In line, I noticed that a lot of people would get too darn close to each other. They were right behind the other person like life was normal.

I kept a good distance from the man in front of me, and the best thing for me was that the lady behind me did the same thing. It would have been very annoying to have somebody behind me that was getting too close. You know, the type that would move up two steps if you moved up two steps while you are trying to distance yourself from them. The line was perfect and everything was safe as could be. 

This is the ticket the DMV gives you and then you have to wait in your vehicle.


When I reached the DMV workers at the table, they asked me what I was there for, I told them the reason and they gave me a DMV ticket with a number on it. Just like it was before Covid, you would have to wait for them to call your number. The difference though is that you don't get to go sit down inside of the DMV lobby and wait. Instead, you gave them your cell phone number and were told to go sit down in your vehicle, and they will text you when it is your turn to go inside of the building. They would only have a certain number of people in the building at a time. I'm guessing it was around  15 people at a time.

Up to this point I had no complaints. The system that the DMV implemented seemed good to me. I went to my car and waited for my text. About two minutes after getting into my car, I received a text from the DMV. This text provided a link to their ticket system. I was able to see what place I was in the ticket system and as other people were taken care of I would move up the list. This was the same as if you were sitting in the DMV lobby during normal times able to see on the screens what number is being called and being able to estimate how long it would be before they call you. I began as #28 on the list, and gradually moved down.

After about a half hour, I received a second text from the DMV. This text stated that I would be called up shortly. When I looked at my place in line, I was at #8. So the DMV will text you this second time to let you know that it is almost your turn.

The DMV provides you with this so you know when it is your turn to go in.


About 15 more minutes had past, and I was #3. I decided to get out of my car and walk slowly to the front of the building. As I got close, I received the third and final text telling me to go to window #7. I walked up to the DMV workers at the table and told them my number was called. They told me to go on inside the building.


https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=QKHNX9M


I walked into the front door of the DMV, and a lady asked me if I had been feeling ill lately, I told here no and she put this gadget toward my forehead real quick. Apparently it was a temperature check. Was weird cause it was like half a second. 

I proceeded to window #7, and as I was walking to window #7 I noticed how empty the DMV was. As I've said, there was only around 15 people in there at a time. Again, I was impressed at the way the DMV prevented the crowding of people.

This is how the DMV looks once called in. Not many people in there at the same time.

While speaking to the lady at the window, I learned that they wouldn't sign off my ticket. It doesn't make any sense to me, but apparently because it is a FTP they can't sign it. I call BS on that, but that's what they said. They gave me a little ticket showing that I was at the DMV and told me the court house would have to sign off my ticket. I ended up just paying the registration for another one of my vehicles. It made my trip at least a little worthy.





Calling up the Superior Court about my fix-it ticket

I called the Superior Court House, and apparently you cannot speak to anyone. The only information that they have for tickets is an automated system for you to pay your ticket over the phone. That's not what I'm trying to do. The automated system wants $1,800 from me. Yeah right!

I've been through similar situations in the past (regular ticket - not fix it ticket) where I had a late ticket and had the option to pay a ridiculous amount over the phone or the Internet. Forget that! By just going in to the court house you can get that amount dropped like crazy. The judge will almost always set the amount to just about what the original cost was for the ticket was. At least in my experience that has been the case.

Instead of paying the ridiculous $1,800, I'll be happy if the judge let's me pay $250 or less. Like I said, this stuff originally should not have cost me over $100, but since I'm late here with everything, I'll be satisfied with a $250 or less fine. As I'm writing this it is Friday, and I plan to go to the court house on Monday. We shall see what happens.





Is it safe to visit the DMV during the Covid 19 pandemic?

My number one point of this article was to help those that are questioning if is safe to go to the DMV or not. You need to know that it is absolutely safe to go to the DMV. Don't let the Corona Virus stop you from taking care of things that you need to take care of in life. Yes, always use caution and don't be a fool. Wear a good mask. 

Take all precautions that you can to be as safe as possible. The DMV has done all they can do, and even though nothing is ever perfect in life, as human beings all we can do is do things the best we can. Be sure to tune in again soon as I report my results of my ticket and how safe the Superior Court House is. As I've said, I'll be paying them a visit on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment