Sunday, August 4, 2019

Doordash - Cash Tips are the Best

Recently, with the pressure mounting on Doordash to change their deceitful pay model, they finally have given in. Tony Xu, the CEO of Doordash announced the change a couple of weeks ago. You can read more about this here. While this change has been long overdue, and things will now be much better as dashers will actually receive their tips in a way that most people understand, there is still something that is better than anything any app can do, and that is CASH TIPS.

The reason that I write this post today about cash tips is because of the terrific experience that I had yesterday while out there dashing. I had experienced something that I never have before, and it was very nice. It was the kind of day that every dasher should experience every day.




It is great when Doordash customers tip in cash


I started dashing late in the evening yesterday. It was about 8pm and I was scheduled to work until midnight. I was hoping that I could earn at the very least $40. My first call came right away, and I had to pick up food from Panda Express. When I got there, I noticed that it was a pretty big order for about $100 of food. Everything went smooth as all of the food was ready when I arrived. In a matter of minutes I was on my way to the customer. After driving a couple of miles away I deliver the food. I earned $15 for the delivery, and the customer also tipped me $5 in cash. I was thinking what a nice way it was to start my dash.






I then get a second call, and once again it is a very convenient call. I delivered the food, received around $7 for the call, and once again I received a cash tip from the customer. This customer gave me a $4 cash tip. I move on to my third call, I receive $8 for the call, and once again I receive a cash tip for $3. I was wondering why people were in such a  good mood. Not that I was complaining, but this was certainly abnormal. Cash tips happen once in a while. If I worked a full day and completed 20 deliveries I would say that on the average only one or two would tip cash, but so far I was three for three here. I was thinking maybe this is the new way Doordash does things. Maybe they have instructed their customers to tip cash to the dashers. Fat chance, but these were just the strange thoughts going through my head..

Call number four comes, and I am sure that my streak is going to end here. I pull up in front of the house which has a gate around it. I then look at the instructions and it says to honk when in the front. I honk, and a young girl comes out to meet me from her side of the gate. I hand her the food, and she tells me thank you while handing me a $3 cash tip. This made four cash tips in a row. I earned $7 for this call and the $3 cash tip.





How I earned so much more by actually receiving my Doordash tips


After four calls, I had earned $37 and $15 of cash tips for a total of $52. This was all done in about an hour and a half which to me is a great thing. Even though I was very happy about my dashing experience thus far, it had me thinking about how it should always be like this for all dashers. I started thinking that if all four of these customers had tipped on the app, I would not have ever seen any of this tip money. Instead, Doordash would have put this $15 of tip money toward the $37. Instead of me earning $15 more, Doordash as a company would have saved $15. Basically they would be $15 richer instead of me being $15 richer.



I sure am grateful for these customers tipping in cash as it really helps all dashers when customers tip in cash. Maybe more and more Doordash customers are getting wise to how the Doordash tipping system works. Actually, I am sure many of them are with the bad publicity out there recently. I will end this by saying that it was not a perfect cash tipping day. I ended up doing two more calls that I did not receive cash tips, but they probably did tip on the app, and of course as a Doordash driver I will never see that.

I am excited to actually start receiving the tips that customers leave on the app once again. It will be just like it was years ago when we all received $5 and our tips. Many drivers today only know Doordash for how it operates today. They were not around when we actually received our tips. Trust me when I say it is so much better and you earn more when you actually receive your customer's tips. I may be jumping the gun here though, who in the hell says that Doordash is going to pay $5 and the tip money like they use to. They may offer an awful deal! Who knows. We shall wait and see. All I know is cash tips are the best and nothing can top that.



No comments:

Post a Comment