Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Should a Doordash Driver Always Deliver to Customers Front Door?

When a dasher first signs up for Doordash, nobody ever tells them that they have to deliver the customers food to their front door. At least years ago they didn't, and I'm pretty sure they still don't. Let's face it though, Doordash customers always expect a Doordash driver to deliver their food to the front door, and they have a right to expect it. When I first began dashing, I automatically figured that I was expected to deliver to the front door. I didn't have any complaints about it and never even gave it any thought. It was just what you supposed to do when delivering food.


 

A dasher that thinks otherwise is definitely in the wrong business. If anybody ever tried to argue the point, a sarcastic customer could even mention the "Door" in the companies name as a sign that a dasher is expected to make deliveries to their front door. A dasher should always expect to get out of their car and deliver to the customer's front door. Sure, there will be the rare occasion when a customer comes outside to retrieve their food, but most of the time a dasher will be delivering to the front door. If a dasher has a problem with this, then Doordash may not be for them. Sometimes a dasher will have to climb stairs, take elevators and even waste valuable time at super large apartment complexes looking for their customer. Then there are the customers that will not answer their phone or reply to text messages when a dasher is having a problem finding them. It is all part of being a Doordash driver.





Is it rude if a Doordash driver does not get out of their car while making a delivery?


Well, the customer's food has to be delivered, and if a Doordash driver is not willing to get out of their vehicle, there is going to be major problems. We all have to remember that when a Doordash customer orders food, they expect their dasher to deliver it to their door. Sure, there are the super terrific customers that will meet you outside, but they are a small minority.

I would like to add that if you want a larger percentage of customers that will meet you outside, delivering for Uber Eats would be your best bet. Why is that? Because a very large percentage of Uber Eats customers are used of coming out and getting their food. Many Uber Eats markets even have what they call Curbside delivery only. This means that customers must come out and get their food. Uber Eats customers do not mind doing this, and most of them actually prefer it. They don't want their driver wasting time looking for them while
their food gets cold.

 

 FreeTaxUSA Box 300x250 

 

They understand that meeting their driver outside makes everything better for both the driver and the customer. If a Doordash driver ever tried curbside delivery for their customers they would run in to a lot of problems. Doordash customers do not expect to come out of their home. They expect the dasher to knock on their front door and hand them their food.

There are only two occasions when a dasher should not get out of their vehicle and let the customer come to their car. If a customer makes a request for the dasher to call or text them upon arrival so that they can come outside and get their food then this request should obviously be honored. The other reason is if a dasher feels unsafe getting out of their car. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If things just don't feel right, a dasher should never get out of their car. Who gives a damn if the customer gives  a bad rating!




The Doordash customer that comes to the car but still expects the Doordash driver to get out


I have had this happen more than a few times. This type of Doordash customer makes their way outside of their home real quick as you are pulling up in your car. Either that, or they are already outside. They head to your car like they are going to let you hand their food to them without getting out the car, but then they do something strange. They stop when they are about ten feet from the car.

As you sit there in your car waiting for them to come a little closer, they don't. They will stand there awkwardly waiting for you to get out of your car. At this point, it is up to you to decide what you are going to do. In my opinion, a Doordash customer like this is usually trying to test you. In their head, they are trying to make a point that you need to put in some work. They don't like the thought of having some lazy-ass driver that is too lazy to get out of their car delivering their food.


 
In the few instances when this has happened to me, I have just called them by their name, told them hello and said "Here you go." Once I do that they will come up to the car and get their food. Sure, I can get out and go the ten feet, but why should I when they have already made their way this far.

I will say this, if I have already parked and see a customer coming out of their home, I will never just sit their in my car. I will always get out and meet them half way if I can. The example that I had previously talked about was the customer that was already outside or made their way outside so quick to your car that there is no point in getting out of your car.

I would like to mention one more thing about this subject. I recently delivered food to a customer. It was one of those situations when we met half way. The customer was very talkative and told me that this order was a replacement for an order that was delivered to her an hour ago. Apparently that original order was wrong.


 
This lady began telling me about the lazy piece of garbage that delivered her original order. She started telling me about how she stood a bit away from the dasher's car and how the female dasher would not get out the car. This customer was talking a bunch of crap about the dasher. She said things so bad that I could not even mention them here. Anyways, her main point was about how lazy this female dasher was. She tested this dasher and did not appreciate her not getting out of the car.

If I was a Doordash customer, I would never play games like this, but that's just me. There is always going to be Doordash customers out there that want to feel like they are in charge and are getting their money's worth. Dashers should never take things personal though. Every customer has their own expectations and most of the time these expectations are reasonable.



hyrecar


Is it rude if a Doordash customer will not come outside to meet their driver?


During a normal delivery, a dasher will make a delivery to the customer's front door. Just because a Doordash customer does not come outside does not mean that they are rude. In rare occasions, Doordash customers will come outside to meet their driver, but generally they expect the dasher to deliver to their door.

If a dasher cannot find their customer for whatever reason, they may ask the customer to come outside. Most customers will come outside and help out. Every once in a while though, a dasher will run in to that Doordash customer that simply refuses to come outside. This in my opinion can be seen as rude. A dasher is trying very hard to deliver the customer's food, they are having difficulties, and this customer cannot come out and help them out? Talking about this, I visualize a lazy person that is too busy playing video games, watching YouTube videos or doing other things that in their mind is more important than anything else.

One last thing that I must mention is that Dashers must always remember that just because somebody does not come out does not mean that they are a lazy crap. There are disabled people that cannot come outside due to a disability. Some people are wheelchair bound. Others are bedridden, etc. Don't always assume that the person refusing to come out is some lazy spoiled brat. Sure, many times it will be that rude lazy person, but other times it will be a good hearted customer that wishes that they could help you out more than they actually can.


4 comments:

  1. Most of time, the doordash driver will call me and say, "I am here" as they sit in their car in my driveway or at the curb waiting for me to approach their door. I will usually wait 10 feet or so from my door. I don't know what is waiting for me when I a approach your overly tinted vehicle. For my safety and the safety of my kids, we can meet in the open to exchange the food. They should call it "curbdash" if this is the expectation of their drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, don't call "Curbdash." They suck.
    And you defunitely shouldn't call "Murdeer Me and Abduct My Kidsdash." You would find their service is not to your liking.
    When I deliver to a customer's door in the middle of the nigbt, one who thoughtfully prepared for my arrival by keeping every outside light off forcing me to navigate stairs, dog shit, toys, and whatever else people who can't be bothered to drive 3 miles round to retrieve their own food leave laying out in their yards in total darkness finally reaching their equally inhospitable unlit door I think, I hope this guy didn't call Doordash by mistake when he really meant to call "Rob the Delivery Driver, them Murder Him and Put His Body in a Shallow Gravedash."

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYC dasher here (the Bronx to be specific) very few delivery people go upstairs for apts here in the city. The main reason being safety. When I'm delivering to a sketchy area (for no tip). You best believe I'm going to protect myself by leaving a clear avenue of escape. For me that means your apt building lobby is your front door. Not going up 15+ stories into the unknown that's an easy way to get ambushed and robbed here. It's completely normal here you must go downstairs to get Chinese, pizza, Mexican etc when it's delivered. The only work people that come upstairs are the mail guys (FedEx and what not) but they're working for a nice salary and lifetime benefit arnt they if I get stabbed doordash ain't gonna help me with nothing. Ironically (per your article) there is one exception and it's uber eats because so many of them are on foot they just come upstairs not sure why but yeah they're the only ones funny enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing SdougySr. With you being in New York, I'm sure the apartment thing is much more of an issue than other places. I can't imagine. You're right, we always have to take precautions and put our safety first. Not worth getting mugged or robbed for a few measly bucks.

      Uber Eats drivers are on foot? Are these actual Uber Eats walkers? They do all of their deliveries on foot?

      I actually wrote an article about aprtment deliveries a couple of years ago.
      Check it out here.
      Check it out here.

      Delete