Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Can Doordash Customers Tip on the App After Delivery?

When Doordash implemented their new pay model that allows dashers to actually keep the tips that customers leave for them, one of the things that they noted was that Doordash customers would eventually be able to tip their dasher after the delivery is made. Nearing the end of November, 2019 Doordash customers were still not able to do so, but as Doordash has entered a new phase of their new pay structure set up it has finally been done. Doordash customers can now tip after delivery! Is this a good thing? That is open up for debate, but the fact is that Doordash customers can now tip their Doordash driver after a delivery is made.




My first after delivery Doordash tip


As I was making deliveries the other day I accepted a call for $6. I had to deliver the food to an employee of a supermarket. I went into the supermarket, asked a worker for so and so, they guided me in the right direction, and I made my way to the back of the market. I gave the food to the customer, was about to walk away, and he asked if he could tip me on the app since I had to walk all the way to the back of the market.

I asked him if he ever used Doordash before. He said that he never had, and that this was his first time. I told him how Doordash customers were never able to tip after a deliver before but how Doordash has just recently supposedly implemented a new post-tip option for customers. He went through the steps necessary, and I curiously watched as I wanted to see things from the customers perspective.

This customer gave me a 5 star rating and left me a $6 tip. From what I have heard we are supposed to get a notification when we get post-tipped, but I did not get one. It may be because this is all new, but I did in fact receive the customer's tip.



Is it a good thing or bad thing that Doordash customers can leave their dasher a tip after delivery is completed?


As I already mentioned, this is open for debate. Personally, I am someone that believes that tips should always be given after service is provided, but the way this whole food delivery service is set up I prefer the pre-tip strategy that Doordash has been practicing. Why? Well, there are going to be a lot of Doorash customers that will forget all about their dasher once the food is delivered. That means no tip for the driver!

When dashers receive an offer with decent pay, chances are that the customer has left a pre-tip; unless of course it is just a high paying Doordash base pay call. Usually though the decent pay is because of a decent pre-tip from the customer. Dashers will jump on an order like this in a heartbeat, and this customer will receive their food quickly. Both dasher and customer are equally satisfied with a transaction like this.





Other calls that come in may not look so attractive to the dasher though. These are the Doordash offers that are paying $2 to $5. Sure, the dasher can take these calls and hope that the customer tips them afterward. Maybe the customer will tip after the delivery is made, but do dashers really want to take that chance? It is a gamble that many dashers are not willing to take.

If I had a personal vote on the post-tip practice I would say "NO." Doordash was a bit different from the other apps as it only allowed pre-tips. Postmates, Uber Eats and others have always let them their customers tip after a delivery is made, and sometimes the tips are very good, but half the time those customers would not tip anything, and the delivery driver will earn a total of sometimes $3 for a delivery.

Only time will tell if giving Doordash customers the post-tip option is a good thing or not. I'm not sure even Doordash knows if it is a good thing or not, but they are certainly hoping that their customers are happy by giving them options. I'm personally leaning on the "No" vote for all of this, but I will easily admit that I may be wrong. We shall see!



hyrecar

 

Will Doordash customers still be able to pre-tip their Doordash driver?


Fortunately, Doordash customers will still be able to pre-tip as they have always been able to do. Honestly, I believe that most Doordash customers will continue to do what they are accustomed to, and that is pre-tipping their dashers. For those that are wise to how things work, I believe many customers will pr-tip for the sake of their dasher being offered decent pay to deliver their food.




How do Doordash customers leave their dasher a tip after delivery?


Doordash customer are able to leave a tip right away. This means that as soon as a dasher slides the order as delivered, the customer can leave the dasher a tip on the app. Also, it may be good to know that a tip can be left for any order so as long as a rating has not been submitted for that order yet. For example, if a customers was looking at their list of their previous Doordah orders, all of those orders can be post-tipped as long as a rating has not been left yet.

In order to leave their dasher a tip after delivery, a customer must leave their dasher a rating. When the customer rates their driver a 4 or 5 stars a drop down menu will appear that gives the customer the option to leave their dasher a tip before actually submitting their rating.





Will Doordash customers leave dashers a tip after delivery?


Some will and some will not. Ever since this post-tipping has been implemented, I have completed 55 dashes. This is certainly not enough to come up with a definite figure, but I will share what has happened so far. Again, please remember that only time will tell what percentage of customer post-tip.

From those 55 deliveries that I made, 14 of them have been from non-tippers. These were calls that paid $5 to $7 and the whole pay that I received was Doordash base pay. I only received one post-tip from any of these 14 customers, and that was the one that I mentioned earlier that worked in the supermarket. All of the other 13 customer have not tipped anything. I'm hoping that this is not an indication of how post-tips will be. This is why I personally prefer pre-tipping customers and will continue to accept their calls over possible post-tip customers.



Other things to know about the Doordash post-tipping option


One has to understand that many Doordash customers are going to be very glad when they find out that they can tip after the delivery instead of having to tip beforehand. These customers may feel that the dasher should get tipped a certain amount based on their performance. Although I can complete relate to their way of thinking, I have come to a realization that this kind of thinking does not work in the on-demand food delivery industry.

In this industry, as a customer you will be better off pre-tipping the dasher so that your order can be accepted and delivered quickly. A customer that is planing to leave a tip after their delivery is made may be waiting for their food for a long while. There is also a greater chance that the food won't be hot or fresh.

 

 

A customer that receives slow and not so fresh food may think to themselves that they are glad that they didn't pre-tip because of the way everything turned out for them. What they are failing to realize is that if they had pre-tipped they most likely would have had a completely different experience. They would have received quick and professional service since their dasher would have received a good paying offer up front.

Instead, their order went around and around continually being denied dasher after dasher because of the low pay that was offered. Hey, you can't blame the dashers. They have no idea that this customer planned to tip after the delivery. They are not willing to gamble and only receive $3 to $5 for their effort. They would much rather spend their time delivering food to those that pre-tipped.

I think that the initiative of Doordash here was to give their customers options, and why wouldn't they? You can't blame Doordash here. Like any business, they want to satisfy their customers in every way that they can. By giving customers the option to pre-tip or post-tip they are satisfying all customers when it comes to this subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment