Monday, October 19, 2020

Doordash Driver - El Pollo Loco Thought I Was Crazy

This is an old embarrassing Doordash story that happened to me about a year ago. I was just thinking about it and thought I would share. Here goes.

Most of us know that "El Pollo Loco" means "The Crazy Chicken," and if you didn't know that now you do. Well, after I visited a local El Pollo Loco to pick up a Doordash order, the workers at El Pollo Loco are certainly convinced that I'm crazy. I'll get to the story momentary, but I will admit when all was said and done I was pretty embarrassed.

 


 

Started as a normal Doorash call

This El Pollo Loco call began as a normal everyday Doordash call. My phone beeped, I analyzed the order, I accepted it, and I began my way to El Pollo Loco. I looked at the time and it was 9:50 p.m. I knew that I would have to hurry if I was going to make it on time because this El Pollo Loco closed at 10:00 p.m. (So I Thought.)




No stalling in order to get to the Doordash restaurant on time

I wouldn't have to race to the restaurant or anything, but to make it on time there couldn't be any stalling. When I arrived it was 10:02 p.m. I parked, jumped out my car and made my way to the front lobby door. For your information, Doordash drivers are not allowed to use the drive-thru at this El Pollo Loco so I didn't even attempt that.


Rent a car, Drive with Uber or Lyft - HyreCar


The beginning of Doordash El Pollo Loco embarrassment

Again, I am about to enter El Pollo Loco, and I push on the front lobby glass door to get in. This is the beginning of this embarrassing encounter. The door is locked. I push on it hard a couple of times so it can be real loud hoping that I can hopefully get the attention of some of the workers inside. I figure that if I can tell them I'm here to pick up a Doordash order they will still give me the food so I can make the delivery. It's happened at other merchants before.


https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=QKHNX9M


The beginning of El Pollo Loco employees thinking that this Doordash driver was crazy

All of the workers in there are behind the counter, and they were ignoring me. I kept pushing the door and figured from the inside it had to sound very loud. They were still ignoring me. I then started pounding on the glass and started using my keys to tap on the glass door real loud. I'm thinking that somebody is going to have to pay attention to me sooner or later. I wanted to complete this Doordash delivery!

Then one of the girls behind the counter actually gave me some attention. She looked at me with a confused face, but even though she was acknowledging me she still wasn't coming up to the door to let me in or anything. She was just staring at me. She must have told a couple of the girls that work with her something because now all three girls are standing behind the counter side-by-side looking at me with confused looks on their faces. They are talking amongst each other, but of course I have no idea what they are saying.

 

THIS IS NOT ME! But this is a female version of what the El Pollo Loco employees probably saw! LOL - LOL - LOL - LOL - LOL - LOL -LOL

Doordash driver using body gestures to El Pollo Loco employees

I have my phone in my hand, and I am pointing at it and holding it out toward the door. I am trying to signal to them that I am there to pick up a Doordash order. I'm talking out loud too as I'm making my expressions. I'm trying to yell through the cracks of the door "I'm here to pick up a Doordash order!"

The three girls then slowly walk toward the door, but they don't open it. They stand there on the other side of the door just staring at me. With them now in my face, I'm thinking that there can be no mistaking why I'm there anymore. I continue to yell "I'm here for a Doordash order!" and have my phone out pointing at it. I nudge the door and push it a few more times still but it's still locked of course. After a while I felt like I was in a good old-fashioned staring contest with these three El Pollo Loco employees.




Doordash Driver in a staring contest with 4 El Pollo Loco employees

Then a older male employee comes from the back and stands there next to the three girls. I'm thinking great "Now I have another staring contest opponent." For about a whole two minutes they just stand there on the other side of the door. I figured one last time try so I point to my phone and tell them once again "I'm here for a Doordash order!"




Doordash driver realizes the mistake

They are talking with one another, and the guy tells one of the girls something. She then takes a few steps toward the lobby door and gives it a little push so I can open it. I pull the door and then it dawns on me that this freaking door was never locked. I was pushing it instead of pulling it! It was a one way door. I felt like the biggest idiot in the world.


Hoping the El Pollo Loco workers realize my simple mistake

I walked up to the counter, and a different El Pollo Loco employee gave me my food. It was ready and waiting for me. I asked that girl what time they closed and she said 11:00 p.m. The whole time I thought they closed at 10:00 p.m. but they were never closed. This is why the three original girls and that guy wondered what the hell I was doing banging on the door.

The El Pollo Loco employees thought I was just some crazy bumb banging on their lobby doors and making strange gestures toward them. They thought I was a nutjob on drugs or something as they didn't understand why I wouldn't just walk in. I have to say once again that I left that place pretty damn embarrassed and avoided going back there for a long time.

I can see it all from their perspective. They are working at their restaurant. Just a normal day during business hours. Then some guy just comes up banging on their door and doing strange gestures outside the door. Seems like a nutjob to me! I guess I just had it so much installed in my head that they closed at 10:00 p.m. and that the door would be locked when I arrived that I made it a reality. Why didn't I try pulling the door? The mind is a very strange thing indeed. I really can't believe that I did that!






No comments:

Post a Comment